Saturday

I wish I could say, I've been in another country so I've got jetlag. Or I fell in the bathtub and my mom says I caught amnesia. All these things wouldn't even come close to the sad truth; I've been at loss for words. Barren as the Sahara, you might say (or a monkey, depending on your humor). Each time I see or hear something new (which I try to do everyday), I think to myself, OK now go document this in your journal. If only it were that easy. Sometimes words don't even come close to the real thing. It's true, you know, language is dead, that is, it's inert. I feel like I'm spouting off someone else's ideas or feelings. I don't feel like what's happening is mine.

But then nature took its course (literally) and I woke up at three in the morning with ideas in my head, and somehow, a Chicago CD playing on repeat (the one with "If you leave me now," of course). Maybe I'm a little bit like Frankenstein's monster, slowly arising amidst lightning, crazy hair and Peter Cetera. Closer to the sad truth would be, I'm a zombie hoping to spank some life into this dead-bolt.



First order of business (or, something I'd been thinking about in the shower), I want to address the fact that "The" is overplayed. This is painfully apparent in the music scene, where The bands come out by the dozen. There's The Kills, The Strokes, The Gossip, The Datsuns, The Decemberists and holy shit, remember The The? Why can't there be more bands like Our Lady Peace? (except, not.)

Secondly, I want to know why I can't sleep for more than three hours a night without being awakened by a storm/bloodcurdling scream/Avril Lavigne. This is not only non-conducive to the seven/eight hours of sleep I need, it also means trudging around for the rest of the day asking, "Did you hear that rain?"/"What the hell was that?"/"Why you gotta go make things so complicated?"

Finally, that person in line for this movie may be there to take said person's 10-year old brother and is not actually dying to see said movie (which, by the way, the LA Times called "lively and engaging for audiences of all ages").

No comments: