Wow. It's February and I don't know where the time went.
Last month went a little something like this:
*contemplate hair/re-mullet
*cry
*drink cranberry vodkas
*eat bananas
*laugh at odd hours, like at 4 a.m. while watching the early news
*crush
I'm obviously leaving out a lot, but that shit is so last year.
Tonight my parents took us out to Macaroni Grill. There was an hour wait. We sat on these wooden benches as we took in the noise and smoke. It was like being in a sauna, except we had clothes on and there was elevator music playing in the background (though I've never been in a sauna, but I'm assuming there is no music there.) We sat there for about half an hour and then an elderly couple stands by us. I look at them: The man has his hand on the woman's elbow, and they're watching the cooks. They must have been at least seventy years old. I stand up and say to the man, "Would you like my seat?" and he says, "What?" And it's too hot all of a sudden. He's looking at me like I'm retarded. "My seat," I say again. "Would you guys like to sit down?" And he says, "Your seat?" and I say, "Yes." And he looks at me, stilll very much like I'm retared, and says, "Yeah, it's your seat," and walks away, steering his wife with him. I'm thinking maybe he misunderstood me or something, because I was obviously trying not to be offensive. But if anything's been knocked into my head, it's that perception is everything.
So I sat back down, sort of confused and a little embarassed. My mom says, "Maybe he's a little deaf," which made me feel a little better. Twenty minutes later our table's ready and it's the first time in a long time that I've eaten a full, decent meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment