Tuesday

The word is: "une cygnet"

The French teacher was eccentric, to say the least. Looking at her, one would think she was one of the students, bored and poking fun at the actual professor. She was younger than most; she hugged her planner and books to her chest as if she needed them for warmth. She walked down the aisles in the manner of a bitter forty-two year old woman, her heels making their staccato statements in tune with her mouth.
"... have to learn it the right way," she was saying. "Or else I can't take you all to my favorite French restaurants," and here she enlists them all. She stops at the front of the room, setting down her books on the desk. She turns to face us, her eyes wild and alight. "What's the word for 'swan'. Anyone?"
And we all stumbled upon this word in our minds. Parapluie...no, that was 'umbrella'...well, isn't it somethingpluie?
In mild annoyance, the teacher finally yells, "It's Ameliepluie!", and we all nod. Of course, that makes sense.

I wake up the next morning. I realize that I had dreamt in French.

No comments: